Saturday, March 18, 2017

HBR: Firing Good People, Max Altschuler

Max Altschuler runs a tech startup and has had to fire some of his best people. He has a short guide to making it as painless as possible for employees that can still be trusted and haven't done anything wrong. He makes sure to address that firing is always painful, but his methods can make it easier to stomach and can end positively.

His tool kit includes: "Compassion. I care about my employees and want them to land somewhere great if staying isn't an option. Curiosity. I want to know what their goals are for themselves. A plan. I do my research before every firing so that I walk into the room with ideas to help the employee move forward."

Altschuler explains that helping his employees find somewhere new that is a great fit and a great company not only helps their personal career but also his reputation and the reputation of his company. He reasons that their success reflects well on his talent management and ability to hire star employees. Similarly, his planning ahead sets up a good personal relationship after the fire. If he can keep a positive relationship then he can count on an open door in the future for business opportunities for him personally or his firm.

Click here to read the article

1 comment:

  1. I saw an interesting comment in a book I was reading last week about debt collectors. Good debt collectors empathize but don't sympathize. I thought that was an interesting distinction, and is relevant when you are dealing with employees that you need to either discipline or let go.

    ReplyDelete