Monday, May 8, 2017

Groupthink as related to HMP 722

I find the phenomenon of groupthink to be very interesting. I think groupthink happens in most classes where there are presentations. The first group is always at a disadvantage, especially when there are limited parameters such as in this class. I have experienced this for presentations even when there are parameters. Groupthink was not mentioned in the 'Teams' presentation, so I would like to take the opportunity to explain how it has affected me in my schooling.

Groupthink has occurred in my academic career several times. The most recent time was on a group project last semester. My group was the first to present our project so we did not have the opportunity to learn the formatting and the professor’s preferences ahead of time. Without this information or her guidance, we were not initially able to satisfy her expectations. Had we considered the variability ahead of time, we could have reached out to her before the due date to ensure we were on the right track. Groupthink contributed to this issue because all team members were under the same impression that this was a standard presentation as we had in other business classes. If we had students from other majors in our group, they may have pointed out inconsistencies in her class compared to our other classes that we had not noticed.


As Jess said in class today, her group was first to present this semester. She self assessed their presentation as boring and dry- just flipping through slides. After a few more presentations they realized the different ways they could teach such as through videos and activities. If they had the experiences with presenting for an entire class that Kyle and I have had, it could have been different. Perhaps Kyle and I contributed to groupthink and would have been better suited to present with other groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment