Thursday, April 13, 2017

Religion in the Workplace, Vicki Wilmarth

At the beginning on my Women in Business meeting today, I was asked by the vice president if I will be going home this weekend. I was asked along with another girl that confirmed she will be traveling home. For a quick moment, I wondered why I would be going home- and why she would ask me. Within about two seconds I made the connection, Easter. I happily informed her that I am Jewish and was home Tuesday and Wednesday for Passover. Although this happens to me a lot, the holiday crept up quietly for me. This semester is incredibly busy and filled with memorable days.

Religious assumptions are everywhere. I know that 75% of Americans reported being Christian in 2000. So, yeah, maybe its a safe bet. As I go into the workforce, however, I think it is a bet not worth making. Vicki Wilmarth agrees, "Just assuming that all of your employees believe the way that you believe is naive and could be legally costly." (2008) The Civil Rights Act of 1964 protects me from discrimination and harassment in the workplace for religious reasons. 

In this same article by Wilmarth, she outlines several rules to live by when it comes to religion in the workplace. My favorite point is the first, "While it is important that you find out if your employees have religious issues affecting their jobs, don't try to engage them in a theological debate or reform their religious views." I appreciate that point because often times I am questioned for my beliefs. The situation or audience dictates what I share. Sometimes I bypass a religion conversation altogether by just agreeing or staying quiet. I certainly do not openly share that I am Jewish to everyone. When it comes from friends, I usually know that they mean no offense. Especially in NH, not many students know Jews. In fact, I have been the first for many. I find it a mitzvah to educate the uninformed about the religion (I know it is an easy one to hate) although sometimes I get tired or fed up by those who only question and won't listen. I have not yet decided how much I will share in the workplace after graduation. Please do not interpret this as shame or embarrassment, I simply don't want to wonder (or be told) how everyone around me feels about it.

3 comments:

  1. You bring up a really good point. Many people make the mistake of assuming the people around them all practice the same religion because it is the most prevalent. It's important to recognize the many different religions people practice aside from one's own. This can apply to other things as well. I think that for the most part religion doesn't belong in the workplace. It can be a bit of an awkward topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Discussions of religion and politics are generally taboo in the workplace for good reason. We're often not good at dealing with our differences. I had to take a senior sergeant aside once because he was making fun of a soldier who stated she was Wiccan. The idea that someone would refer to themselves as a witch with pride was beyond him. I have had soldiers and civilians of all different religions (as well as atheists) in my units, and one has to be careful to show respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you and believe that it should not be assumed that everybody is Christian even though a good majority of people are. I believe these kinds of assumptions lead to unnecessary conflicts in the workplace.

    ReplyDelete